Thursday, September 17, 2009

Master of None

My dad was a Renaissance man; he was good at everything he tried.  He was creative: a poet, musician, and artist.  He was handy: built his own car, hired as an engineer w/o the formal training, fixed everything at the house, and grew his own garden.  He was a self-taught man, and he did good.  I've admired and centered my life on his intellectualism, and what I think he would've wanted for me.

I seem to have been blessed with his same innate ability to be pretty good at everything I try.  Socially, I embrace it, celebrate it, flaunt it.  Yes, I like a lot of subjects.  Yes, I have taken classes on almost every topic.  Yes, I love learning.  And, yes, I perform equally well at both left and right brain activities.

But being a jack of all trades comes at a high price.

My resume is a perfect example:  administrative, marketing, teaching, medical environment, kids entertainment, writing, photography.  I definitely bring a lot to the table.  But does it carry any weight?  No job offers yet.

My dad, the man whose intellect will perpetually live on a pedestal for me, came to the US and worked as cashier at a gas station, a factory worker, building maintenance guy, a copy machine operator, and a security guard (in no particular order).  His bank account never reflected his skills or intelligence.

I graduated from a decent university (go Canes!), did a double major and a minor; have worked with major companies (Disney, Viacom); have pretty advanced computer skills.  You'd say I did good.  But will it do any good for me?

As I currently search for a job, I see myself more and more living a pararllel life to that of my dad's.  My bank account will always be low, sometimes overdraft; but my life will teem with good memories.

And perhaps one day someone will remember me as I do my father: an artist, an intellectual, a great person to have known in my life.


< me and my pops...as you can see, i also got his looks! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?