Thursday, October 29, 2009

Music, A Lifelong Affair

I am not a musician, I cannot make music. But I love it and cannot imagine my life without it. It is simply put, the greatest love of my life.

When I was in elementary school I was in the chorus and recorder group, thanks to the latter I even got to perform at the Superintendent's Music Honors Festival which that year was held at the University of Miami.

My little 11 year old self was in complete awe. I was the only one chosen to play the bass recorder, which was so huge I could hardly play one of the notes because I had to really stretch my pinky. We practiced our ensemble pieces for months and then the week of the show we spent 3 days at UM. Wow. At the moment UM was like a dreamland to me, walking by the fountain, eating at the cafeteria among all the college students, but most impressive was rehearsal in one of the halls. I felt like I was part of a big important orchestra. In those days, I was a musician, taking guidance from a real music conductor.

Our performance went as planned; my whole family came out to support and video tape. I lived in my moment as a little musician.

Coincidentally years later my sister, in high school at that time, also partook in that glorious event. Her instrument: the piano-forte.

Speaking of, I also learned to play the piano, but I never did it consistently. I did go to evaluations and earned my "superior" that was my platinum ticket out of level/year 2, but I never took the next year.

In middle school, 8th grade when I had moved schools following my father's passing, I took up guitar in his honor. We moved halfway through the year so I only learned the basics and didn't even get to chords.

I can still sight-read and play simple pieces on the piano, and maybe even the recorder, but I could never make my own music, and I could never sing.

I listen to music on a daily basis; I attend as many live performances as I can afford; and I always try to see my favorite musicians at least once on stage.

I have been fortunate to have seen many including: Mana, Juanes, Jack Johnson, John Legend, Missy Elliot, Alicia Keys, Shakira, Estelle, Beyonce, Bare Naked Ladies, Reel Big Fish, and more.

But in college I was really into the local scene and my love affair with Latin ska/punk/rock really flourished. Every week I would go see a local band. Thankfully Fábrika existed and listed all the local happenings (they still do at www.fabrikalink.com).

My greatest love story was with LPJ. It was at a battle of the bands at the Hard Rock Cafe in Bayside where I first saw Locos Por Juana, and I fell madly in love. LPJ is an amazing band of such talented musicians; a unique fusion of ska, reggae, salsa, jazz, funk, cumbia.

And the lead singer is so full of energy and dances with such passion that he transfers his feelings to the crowd. And up until recently their bass guitarist, who is a total cutie, also did vocals--he broke it down. His voice and image don't match; he can rap so fast and sound like a real reggae musician, you would've never guessed he was from Venezuela.

I often tease that I'm an LPJ groupie, but really I just truly see them, and all musicians for that matter, as the personification of the music they're playing. And since I do love music so intensely, I tend to speak of the musician with equal passion, but in the end it's all about the music.

Often called the universal language, music really moves people, and I assure you I have been one of them.

Music, I would be so lost withou you.


Here: Me with my niece and friend and members of LPJ :)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?