Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Unconditional Love: Just a Myth?

Trick question, if you ask me.

I've been thinking about this topic for a while, and it's really hard to give a satisfying answer.

Hear me out...

I firmly believe that unconditional love is possible and does in fact exist.  I believe I have been loved unconditionally, I believe I have/do love others unconditionally...that is if you buy my definition of love.

Family love...I think most people would agree that unconditional love is what binds even the most dysfunctional families.  You tend to get over everything when you're family.  Somehow you find a way to move past the grudge, the frustration, the anger, and you forgive and you support and you love your family (yes, there are exceptions, but they are few and far between, so let's just skip them this time).  I know that my mom will love me no matter what.  I know that my siblings will help me whenever I need them.  I know my family will accept me regardless of how much I rebel against them, it may take a while, but they always come around.  And I absolutely love them for it.  I will always love them, and I know that they know that.

Friendship love...Unfortunately (although sometimes very fortunately), with most friends we definitely apply conditional love, because unlike family, we can cut our ties to our friends.  But every now and then, if we're lucky, we'll meet a couple of very special people that for some reason or other, you just want them around all the time and you're willing to make the choice to take a risk and afford them the benefits of family: unconditional love.  I'm very happy to say I've been blessed with some cool peeps that I most definitely want in my life forever.

Romantic love....Ugh, this is [arguably] the trickiest.  Depending on our mate-finding ways, it is most likely that we actually don't develop a real, close relationship that even allows us to foster feelings like unconditional love with people we date, for some that even extends to people they marry.  My theory?  1- Statistically it is most likely that you're gonna have to date quite a bit before you find someone you want to marry.  So every time you date someone, you probably [unconsciously] think this isn't going to be the last person you date, which in turn makes you double think the emotional investment.  2- Most romantic relationships begin as a result of a physical attraction.  That usually translates into a lot of time spent on lust and "being on your best behavior" trying to create a good impression. 3- Statistically you are very likely to get a divorce, again sending messages that lead to a natural albeit unconscious resistance to trusting others' intentions and feelings, making it increasingly difficult to develop unconditional love.  But I do think that if you date someone because you're genuinely interested in starting a new life with them (and understand and accept commitment) then it is possible to love unconditionally.  It takes a leap of faith, but it can be the most rewarding.

So where is the conundrum?

Well here it goes...Love is a feeling, not an action (of course I realize how futile it is if it isn't manifested into actions, but bear with me here...).  I have met a few people, who I will truly love always, unconditionally.  No matter what they do or say, I will still want to help them; I will still want the best for them; I will still value their opinions; I will still want them in my life.  But sometimes I recognize that as much as I'd want to be involved in their lives, it is not a good idea, and I walk away.  But my feelings don't go away, so I cut the relationship, but not the feelings.  Does that still count as unconditional love?

I honestly just don't know! I'd like to think so, but I can't lie and admit it may be a stretch.  What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I think what you actually mean here is that you will always care for certain people. For me, there is a big difference between love and care. When you care about someone and their happiness you are not indiffrent to what happens to them. However, you don't exert any or much energy because you care about them. You don't play an active part in their life and the action is missing - the action that must complete "love." When you love someone, not only do you care about them, but you invest yourself in their lives, actively helping them obtain happiness. It can't be love if the person doesn't know what you feel because either you don't demonstrate it or you have decided to cut the relationship. And eventually with time that care turns into a mild interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I 100% agree with your arguments, but still I wonder because sometimes the other person doesn't want you in their life. If [unconditional] love isn't mutual, does that nullify the genuineness of the other's feelings? I know relationships are a 2 way road, but is love also then? Maybe not enough time has passed for me to stop loving someone and instead just care or have a mild interest in. Or maybe, and it's plausible, I don't really know what love is. =(

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?